Friday, June 9, 2017

Tired of Looking Forward, I've Started Looking Back. Part 01: Blackhawk!

Lately, perhaps in a sign of my age, I find myself looking back to the things that gave me joy in the past. Sometimes it's comics, others movies, or fanzines, or toys, or TV shows -- all from the era of the late 1950s to the early 1970s. Sadly that end date of my fannish interest and innocence is capped by my becoming a professional artist and writer in the mid-70s.

The DC Comics of the late 50s and early 60s played a big role in developing my love of science fiction. While as adults we may bemoan their largely unintentionally camp, formulaic stories and wooden heroes, there was a charm about them that remains undeniable. 


 This issue of Blackhawk (December 1959) is a great example of the fuel DC poured on the fire of my young imagination. So much so, that I remembered the cover as being vastly different than this image of middle aged men in Nazi gear fleeing a portly short dinosaur. So, I decided to draw it as my child's eye saw it back in the fall of 1959. Here's the resulting sketch:


While it's true that you can't go home again, sometimes it can be a pleasure to cast a kindly glance in its direction.

1 comment:

  1. Yup same here. Some thing about the purity and lack of social messages that those comics had, plus like you said it turned kids on to science fiction.

    ReplyDelete